Philippians 3:12-14

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

What Have You Done For Me Lately?

The other day I was with my three year old on our (what seems like daily) trip to a certain place that shall remain nameless that sells, of all things, fried chicken for breakfast and a bangin' cup of coffee.
A man was walking exactly three steps in front of us and as I helped my daughter up the curb in her highly impractical but beautiful sparkly flip flops, I didn't glance up as I continued toward the door.
The door I just knew would be held open for us.
Because we live in the South and that is what gentlemen do. I had come to expect it.
And I'm sure he could see I had my hands full with my little one.
I looked up in time for me to just avoid breaking my nose on the glass of the door as it whispered shut in front of us with an exhale of a cool breeze from inside.
I fairly sputtered with indignation.
Like, I really did sputter.
I know he saw me. Our eyes met as we were walking towards the door. I may have even given him a half-smile.
My neck went a little cobra as I thought, 'No. He. Didn't.'
As I regained my composure and smoothed imaginary wrinkles from my dress, we entered the building. I caught sight of his green shirt at the counter and I sidled up in line pretending to read the menu I could recite from memory, tax included.
Then I began to feel ridiculous. What exactly was I going to do when I caught his glance? Give him the ol' Stink Eye? Chastise a grown man for bad manners? Perhaps he had something on his mind.
And perhaps he didn't.
On a good day, when I sit in judgment of another's behavior, I am able to turn the microscope in on myself.
And, oh, how that bright light burns.
I squirm as God brings my thoughts around to my own bad manners. With Him.
Failing to recognize something nice He's done for me. Not just doors He opens but also gifts held out by His hands on the hour that I take without looking. And I shut the door in His face without so much as a thank You or a even a glance back.
Entitled.
What have you done for me lately?
Do I only notice a gift's absence? When something isn't done for me?
I can't think of anything worse, really.
Please, Lord, may I never become so blind or hard or preoccupied or entitled that I don't intentionally receive Your gifts, every gift, and breathe thank You with my very soul:
brand-new sunrise colors every morning
the laugh of my child
the kiss of a cool wind
flowers on the side of a road
encouragement from a friend, words whispered from You
a new pepper on my jalapeno plant
hugs from my family every morning
time with You
my next breath
His creativity in giving good gifts is endless and astounding.

Every good and perfect gift is from above...
James 1:17


What gifts do we have to say thank You for today?

What gifts we do have to say thank You for today!

Let us name them.
Receive them.
Thank Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment