Philippians 3:12-14

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Contagious

Read this (out loud, if possible) in your VERY best Infomercial Voice (we all have one, just dig deep, talk low and fast):

Do you suffer from CRUSTY CHRISTIAN SYNDROME?

Do you generally walk around looking like someone just tied your pet baby kitten to a bunch of balloons while you helplessly watch it float up up and away?!
Can you clear a room full of people in thirteen seconds with a soliloquy of complaints about your bigger-than-life problems?!
Do you appear closed off and sullen while waiting at the doctor's office or in the grocery line?!
Do you keep your eyes focused on imaginary cracks in the concrete as someone is approaching from the opposite direction to avoid saying hello?!
Are you able to cluck your tongue at or verbally dissect Christian 'Rule Breakers'?!
Does your face often look as if you are in a contest to hold in a foul-tasting, garbage-smelling cough syrup the longest?!
Is your face often obscured by your telephone as you get thumb cramps from texting in a crowd because you don't know anyone?!
And last, but not least, is there enough evidence to convict you in court of being a lover of Christ?!
If you answered yes to any or several and no to the last of the above...YOU COULD BE A VICTIM OF CRUSTY CHRISTIAN SYNDROME!
(This is where I should insert a whole list of strange side-effects and you could continue in a lower, faster, barely audible voice...)
All joking aside, I had a fun experience yesterday waiting for my daughter while she was in gymnastics class. This was our third week to show up and watch with the other mothers and fathers and little ones in the area reserved for families. I always find someone to talk to, even if it's my kiddos. But yesterday I came in to my usual spot (this isn't just a church pew phenomenon...people are creatures of habit) and was greeted by another mother in front of me.
'Hi. How are you?' I greeted with Standard Retort.
I was prepared to finish the scene there and choose a more comfortable activity than Stranger Conversation. But she was having none of it. This audacious, exuberant, joyful stranger introduced herself to me and another mom, asked our names and other things.
In the course of our stay in the gymnastics holding tank, I believe I saw her speak to every single person, kids included, counted twelve hugs, had the most refreshing Christ-centered conversation and even left hugged myself! By a stranger! A stranger that, when we left, was not one.
Can you imagine?
I loved it.
I left gymnastics joyful.
May we all leave one another like that.
It's hard to imagine that we have to be reminded what there is to be joyful about.
We are
chosen
treasured
and...get this next part...we are CHRIST'S JOY.
(Come on. Stop here. Think. Smile.)

And sometimes we may be the only Jesus some people people see in a day.

Do you know how many times JOY is mentioned in the Bible?
This is where I should tell you. But I don't know. It's a LOT.
Here are a few gems I had to pick out from many:

Sing to him a new song;
play skillfully, and shout for joy.
Psalm 33:3

Rejoice in the Lord and be glad, you righteous;
sing, all you who are upright in heart!
Psalm 32:11

This is the day the Lord has made;
let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

Delight yourself in the Lord
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Psalm 37:4

I reJOICED with those who said to me,
"Let us go to the house of the Lord."
Psalm 122:1

I have told you this so that my joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete.
John 15:11

Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!
Philippians 4:4

And really, as if you need any other reason to be joyful...but here's one more:
It's a command:

Be joyful always.
1 Thessalonians 5:16

Joy, like misery, is contagious. What are you spreading?

3 comments:

  1. Love it! Love it! Love it, Melissa! BTW, "joy" is mentioned 217 times in 209 verses in the NIV! You too can have this random knowledge by checking out blueletterbible.com. It is a PHENOMENAL resource that I use often in my Bible study! You will LOVE it! Thanks for the humbling reminder about wearing our Christianity publically and joyfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome! and thank You for the JoY your family brings to us..especially with the happy birthday song for Adalee with the candle lit when we opened the door. Amazing! If told so many people how good that made us feel. I love what you are teaching your kids (and me!) by just being the God loving, people loving YoU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot tell u how you have blessed me sweet friend-so kind!
    love u and love your writing!
    TRistie

    ReplyDelete